Toddlers generally are like a butterfly moving here and there but in case if you stuck at home due to pandemic or other unavoidable reason then knowledge of home activities for toddlers is very much required to keep them flying happily and engaged.
In case if your kids are getting a tough time to be captive at home then don’t worry, it’s easier than you think to involve in the fun & educational activities for toddlers at home. You can bring a smile on toddler’s faces with little innovation, creativity, and a playful attitude. You just need to grab some crayons, glue, glitter, and paint, cardboard, and let your tiny one’s creativity shine. These fun activities for kids are easy, DIY, and can mostly be done with everyday items that you have around the house. Early learning activities for toddlers can be innovative, fun & keep themselves occupied at the same time. You just need to ignite sparks of inspiration to get the ideas flowing in the toddler’s mind.
What are the things which involve fun & learning in-home activities for toddlers?
There are different activities that you can think for your toddlers to help them develop agility, balance, hand and eye coordination, gross & fine motor, sensory sense.
Toddlers (aged 1–3 years) should accumulate at least 180 minutes of physical activity at any intensity spread throughout the day time, including:
A variety of activities in different surroundings & activities that develop movement skills;
Activities that gets toddlers moving can be of following kinds:
- Climbing stairs and moving around the home
- Crawling, brisk walking, running or dancing
- hopping, jumping, skipping (depends upon kids development and stamina)
Keep them being active can help young ones with many benefits which are of prime importance in their early age of overall development.
•Maintain a healthy body weight
• Improve movement skills
• Increase health & fitness
• Have fun and feel happy
• Develop self-confidence
• Improve learning and attention
You must be wondering why I am giving so much importance to indoor home activities for toddlers.
There can be reasons where you could stuck at home with the kids and have nothing to do. There could situations like rainy season, chilling weather, the hot scorching sun outside, unexpected situations like Pandemic (Covid19), lockdown, etc where your toddlers are captive in-home premises and getting fuzzy, mad, cranky. Sometimes its really difficult to handle toddler tantrums. Toddlers are generally between 1-3 of age and are not capable of understanding the reason & situation around them. You are being the parents of tiny ones must equip with knowledge of keep them engaged, happy, entertained, and most importantly keep them learning.
Being stuck inside doesn’t have to mean being bored.
Now you must be wondering how you can involve your young ones to do activities that are fun learning and engaging at the same time.
We are going to tell you a few of the handpicked activities that require minimal stuff from everyday items that you have around the house.
There can be tons of painting/DIY activities inside crafts activities that’ll hold their attention for long stretches of time. we’ve got your recipe for happy kids.
It’s also important to have access to plenty of fun, simple activities that you know will help them get active, happy, and develop skills in a variety of ways. Best of all, none of these require an electronic device or an app, so you don’t have to worry about too much screen time for your toddlers.
Things to remember before starting any activities with your toddler:
- Allow your toddler to explore whatever it is that you give them.
- Don’t do an activity with an intentional plan, it never works out with this age range.
- Expect a toddler to be interested, leave it out for them to come back to later, or even the next day.
Find out toddler activities more fitting for your child based on their interest, inclination.
We’ve got lots of ideas for home-based activities with kids.
Check out our collection of things kids can do and make like homemade play dough, finger puppets, puppet show, memory games, and more.
You’ll never have to wonder how to occupy your toddler again!
- Dance Party – Turn up their favorite music, use lights or decorations for ambiance, and let your kids twist, dance like their favorite animal, or freestyle their way to fun.
- Cardboard Games: We can involve them in a variety of cardboard games. We generally gave lots of cardboard found at our home of various online shopping consignments.
- Custom castle/ forts. – Build custom castle using cardboard along with blankets and cushions, pillows for extra comfort and fun. Involve your child’s imagination to add extra creativity to this.
- Cardboard sports – cardboard can be used as hockey net, basketball hoop, mini putt target, bowling pins, etc. and can be an easy indoor solution for sports and activities.
- Puppet theatre – Grab some toys & props along with string to create a big cardboard box stage for perfect puppets show. Narrate their favorite story using sound/expressions to them entertained.
- Treasure hunt – hide a favorite toy somewhere in the house by giving them a clue to find them.
- Fold paper planes and see how far they will fly
- Keep a balloon in the air – Ask them to keep a balloon in the air as long as possible
- bowling alley– You can make the homemade bowling alley for kids using plastic bottles and balls of kid. They will more than happy to see the bottle falling down by their targeted effort.
- Super Simple Shape Sorting Activity – This activity will help your child to recognize the shape by taking shapes off the paper and into the real world, we give our kids the chance to dig deep with shapes and expand their understanding even more. You will get lots of toys and the kitchen items that were square, circle, or triangular. Now after collecting all items at a place, mark these three shapes i.e. square, triangle, and circle by drawing on the floor either by chalk or painters’ tape. Once it is done and ask your toddler to recognize the shape and put this in the same shape drawn space. Its is always fun seeing your kid to
- Entertain with dominoes – creating dominoes with different objects from household goods and arrange them to create dominoes. Now ask your toddlers to start the effect. This activity will brighten up their faces with a smile and engage them up to sometimes.
- Match Tupperware – This activity involves the matching of the lid and container. You can use many, plastic tubs and lids and let the kids match them up of containers of different shapes and sizes & colors. It’s great fine motor strengthening, and plus gets in the learning task of matching!
- Simple Toddler Pom Pom Sorting Activity –In this activity you require pom pom of different colors and sizes (pom pom: softball which you can make at home with wool) & muffin tray or bowls. That’s it! Two supplies you already have at home and you’re ready for this quick and simple toddler fine motor skills activity! Now you can ask your baby to sort the pom pom based on Color/sizes and put them in a different bowl. This activity will help your tiny ones to understand colors and sizes and they are going to love it.
Above mentioned best home activities for toddlers will help your child to come out of the boredom and confinement at home. Sometimes It is completely fine to let the child be bored for a while. Let them find their own way out of the monotony. Being on their own will motivate and inspire them to invent and create something to keep themselves engaged and happy.
Boredom often sparks creativity & fun at home activities for toddlers and is a natural part of childhood.Apart from the home activities, you can also travel with a toddler to explore the world and create memories of their childhood before it’s too late.